Saturday, June 16, 2012

Nursery Rhymes

When I was learning to drive (ye gods, 20 years ago!) my driving instructor had a little "rhyme" that she taught me for merging / changing lanes:

  • Check Mirror
  • Indicate
  • Headcheck
  • Go!
I know it doesn't rhyme but it had a nice lilting tempo to it and clearly it's stuck in my head for more than 20 years... and anyone who knows me will realise what an achievement it is to get anything to stick in my memory!

So I've been thinking about motorcycle safety (shock, horror, I know!) particularly around educating drivers to always look for bikes, and I've been toying with the idea of little rhymes like this to get it set in the public consciousness.  For example:

Lane Changes
  • Check Mirror
  • Indicate
  • Look for Bikes
  • Go!
Intersections
  • Look Left
  • Look Right
  • Look for Bikes
  • Go!
I wonder how many times someone needs to hear a simple phrasing like this before it sticks... especially if it is being said "at you" from a bumper sticker or poster rather than to you by an instructor.

No comments:

Post a Comment