Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Where's the rest?

I confess, it happened sooner than I expected.

I'm in my fifth week on the road.  I've done less than 2,000 kilometres.  And today it happened.

I've turned left onto Queens Parade off Alexandra Parade - which translates to leaving the bumper-to-bumper stop start and hitting free, unhindered asphalt.  And with nothing in front of me but the promise of home and a Vodka, Lemon Lime and Bitters waiting for me, I twisted the wrist.

And yeah, ok, the bike accelerated.  It did.

But I was in second, and for much of that I must have been pretty darn close to the optimal torque band.  And I have to say, I was a little disappointed.

I keep reminding myself: this is a LAMS bike.  LAMS is good.  LAMS means I'm less likely to kill myself.  I like LAMS.  Especially with Rosemary.  And roast potatoes.  But I digress.

LAMS is a good thing - if it weren't for LAMS I'd be on a 250 right now, and would probably have written this post a couple of weeks ago!  And LAMS bikes are much less volatile (or so I'm told) and twitchy than a bigger bike... with less twitchiness comes less likelihood of throwing yourself off, and that has to be a good thing.  And let's be honest - I don't _need_ more than the 500cc at my disposal.  It does everything I need, and it does it very well.

But I'm a little flat nevertheless.  Maybe the next bike won't be the 650 after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment